LATEX-L  July 1998

LATEX-L July 1998

Re: First experience with xr under L3PL

Richard Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Jul 1998 18:10:59 +1000

Frank Mittelbach writes:
 > fine, however you could take the exercise further and actually apply
 > some of the functionality of L3PL. i've appended my version below

Yes, I could have done that if I knew what I was doing!

 > > %<notpackage>\RequirePackage{l3io}
 > actually it works if there is a blank line after the \RequirePackage

Indeed (I checked) - very interesting!

 > > \def_new:Npn\tools/xr/loop:n#1{\ior_open:Nn\@inputcheck{#1}\scan_stop:
 > >
 > > A gotcha: you now need the braces around #1.
 >
 > and no \scan_stop: :-)

Yes, that's the sort of thing that happens when you don't think
carefully about what you're doing. I plead that I was (and still am)
suffering from a bad cold.

 > > The \\ in both these lines was \[log in to unmask] I wanted to change that to
 > > \tools/xr/dummy or something like that, but this doesn't work because
 > > \tools/xr/test:nnnn gets invoked when reading the .aux file, and at
 > > that stage / has catcode 12 again. (Using a _ wouldn't work either,
 > > of course.)
 >
 > ???? works i'd say in my implementation

As usual you are right, and I can't even reproduce this problem. I
think it happened when I was using the \RequirePackage, but it's not
worth tracking down further at this stage.

 > ----------------- test
 >
 > \begin{filecontents}{l3xr}

l3xr.sty, natch . . .

 > % well, that has already an interface in 2e
 >
 > \newcommand\externaldocument[2][]
 > {
 > {
 > \makeatletter
 > \def:Npn \l_xr_prefix_tlp {#1}
 > \seq_push:Nn \l_xr_subfiles_seq {#2.aux}
 > \xr_loop:
 > }
 > }
 >
 > \seq_new:N \l_xr_subfiles_seq

No, if you want to do it `properly' you must say:

\newcommand\externaldocument[2][]
{
 {
  \makeatletter
  \tlp_set:Nn \l_xr_prefix_tlp {#1}
  \seq_push:Nn \l_xr_subfiles_seq {#2.aux}
  \xr_loop:
 }
}

\tlp_new:Nn \l_xr_prefix_tlp {}
\seq_new:N \l_xr_subfiles_seq

 > \def_new:Npn \xr_loop:
 > {
 > \seq_pop:NN \l_xr_subfiles_seq \l_xr_file_tlp
 > \ior_open:Nn \@inputcheck {\l_xr_file_tlp}
 > \ior_eof:NTF \@inputcheck
 > {
 > \PackageWarning{l3xr}{^^JNo~ file~ \l_xr_file_tlp^^JLABELS~ NOT~ IMPORTED.^^J}
 > }
 > {
 > \PackageInfo{l3xr}{IMPORTING~ LABELS~ FROM~ \l_xr_file_tlp}
 > \xr_read_file:
 > }
 > \seq_empty:NF \l_xr_subfiles_seq
 > { \xr_loop: }
 > }

\seq_pop:NN is not listed in the first part of the l3seq
documentation. It was not obvious that one is allowed/supposed to use
it.

And you to `declare' this as well:

\tlp_new:N \l_xr_file_tlp {}

The rest seems OK . . . .

Tim's questions are really quite important for the `average' package
writer, because they will be programing `in-the-small', and the xr
example is quite a good one for that. Even such a small package has
needed a total re-think and re-writing.

Clearly I haven't yet got my brain around what one is supposed to do
with all of the new data types (prop, seq, tlp) - and I doubt anyone
else listening has. Because there are no examples I have to do a lot
of mind-reading. So I am going to study your l3xr more carefully and
have a go at a larger package. (I've been in Melbourne since February
and I'm moving back to Canberra this week, so don't hold your breath -
but I'll do my best!)

> com'on. with a spec as is you can experiment with modules if you
> really want to as easily as with some other. just introduce / as a
> sub-module separator in the first word. you may be right that it would
> look perhaps look ugly but it would work without any problem and would
> prove either me or you wrong.
>
> so \foo_bar:nn would be module foo function bar
> and \foo/baz_bar:nn would be module foo submodule baz function bar
>
> so what? (and it doesn't look so bad actually)

I am going to think about that one for a while.

First impressions, using my example:

\tools/xr/exp_list: becomes \tools/xr_exp_list:

It has a certain `cringe factor' about it, because `xr' has somehow
moved from the name of the package to the name of the function.
To me, allowing _ within the <description> part and using it as the
separator is really ugly.

ObPolemic: But maybe the LaTeX world is too small for a hierarchical
naming scheme - even though CTAN (not to mention TDS) would suggest
otherwise.