On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Joseph Wright
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> At least for the kernel and associated tools, everything is in a version
> control system.  So it is not really that hard to get hold of a given
> version if one needs to.  The problem of versions mainly applies to
> other packages, and that is very much down to the package authors (as
> was discussed at length on c.t.t recently).

Indeed. I was thinking of something a little more organised, which
would obviously involve CTAN & TeXLive keeping old versions in their
repository as well. (Which I think they've discussed in the past.)

Erm, so in conclusion: nothing that is going to happen any time soon!