Frank Mittelbach wrote:
> Joseph Wright writes:
>
>  > 2) How should the missing three (plus any others) be named.  The current
>  > idea is, I think, something like:
>  >
>  > \endlinechar	\l_char_endline_int
>  > \evereof	\l_ior_eof_toks
>  > \scantokens	\tlist_rescan:n
>  >
>  > Is this logical: are there any other suggestions?
>
> so for now (see other post) I would only assign \endlinechar and \scantokens
> and the names there look fine to me

The reason I'm interested in \everyeof as well is for using \scantokens
in a context such as:

\def\tempa#1{%
  \begingroup
    % Some catcode changes
    \everyeof{\noexpand}%
    \endlinechar-1\relax
    \edef\tempb{\scantokens{#1}}%
  \expandafter\endgroup
  \expandafter\def\expandafter\tempc\expandafter{\tempb}%
}

which fails without the \everyeof setting. That I know of there is no
way to "bundle up" the various components, so without access to
\everyeof, \scantokens is not much use (at least to me).