Elie Roux a écrit :
> In the future LuaTeX will probably replace pdfTeX, so inputenc will load
> luainputenc. The question is not really to decide if it's good or not,

Hmm...

> it's to decide when we will do it. And I still can't really see why we
> should wait three more years...

I don't mean waiting for three years. I just mean waiting enough to be able to
tidy up problems. Probably one year will be enough. Be a few months (current
time of luainputenc development/testing, iirc) are probably not enough.

> Just to repeat myself: (lua)inputenc is not optional in most cases, so
> the user will have to load luainputenc. This means that people working
> with LuaLaTeX will have to change their documents in 2012, replacing
> luainputenc by inputenc...

And that's perfectly ok if they need so, because you know you possibly have to
change a few names sometimes when you're using something under developement.
(And it doesn't mean only LuaTeX: I sometimes have to change my documents in
order to make them compile with a newer version of Koma-script, and I accept
that. If I don't want to have to worry about it, I use only the standard
classes, and I'm happy I have this choice too.)

Anyway, I see no reason why luainputenc should stop working with this name if it
is later available as inputenc. A package can perfectly have multiple names.

> I know it's not 100% stable so users must
> know what they're doing, but it still seems more annoying than the
> miracle solution for stability...

Well, it seems we disagree on what the future will be. In my future, I want to
be able to compile utf-8 encoded sources using Unicode fonts without loading
some sort of inputenc and making a bunch af character actives.

Manuel.