I think it would be useful to put "all" the latex commands/references/symbols into a wiki that lets you build ontologies and have metadata. In particular, I think something like Semantic Mediawiki would be useful. Here's why:

* You can create templates and forms to easily add and edit references
* All of the templates and forms will store the data with appropriate metadata.
* You can display the information on the wiki easily using inline queries
* You can then query the wiki using a SPARQL like syntax and get the results back in many different formats (CSV, RDF, JSON, etc).
* You can easily build groups of symbols/functions and extend the data structures at a level in which you don't need to be a programmer and almost anyone can help to maintain it.

I'm in the process of putting together a set of templates, forms, and metadata constructs to organize the comprehensive latex symbol list in this fashion as we are using latex in our FlexBook system at http://flexbooks.ck12.org. As I make progress on this work I'll update this list so that the bullet points can be better understood with a real example to look at.

-Josh