J.Fine wrote:
> The translation could be done by a script written in Python.  Knuth wrote Pascal, but you don't have to go that route either.
>
> I'd rather the LaTeX3 team were willing to be flexible here.  There are many things that would be better done using a dynamic scripting language rather than TeX macros.

But you still need to make binaries so that at the command line a user
can type:

latex3 <myfile>

(Particularly on Windows, you can't assume *any* scripting languages
will be available "just like that". That is one reason Lua is a possible
in the longer term: if LuaTeX is installed, you can always just use the
Lua part without the TeX.)