From: Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: Paul Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sun, January 2, 2011 2:23:11 PM
Subject: Re: LaTeX3 and engines

On 02/01/2011 15:27, Paul Thompson wrote:
> There is really a somewhat deeper issue.  Like many who use LaTeX for more
than
> superficial stuff (I wrote a class file newlfm and several sty files, most of
> which are not much used), I can read documentation and figger it out somewhat.
> However, knowing of the EXISTENCE of a tool is really the key, not how it is
> used.  How are people to learn that specific primitives exist?  It's not in
the
> LaTeX Companion, which is my starting point.

As Arno has already commented, this is a primitive, so it belongs in the pdfTeX
manual and not in anything from LaTeX. I'd also note that it was introduced
relatively recently (compared at least to the age of LaTeX2e), so it's not
surprising that it's not there.

As an aside, one of the points of the expl3 work is to provide a LaTeX
programming language in which everything is documented if it's available. That
doesn't mean that all of the primitives are documented in expl3: the other point
is that many of them are not really ideal for direct use. \pdfstrcmp is a case
in point: the expl3 interface is called \str_if_eq:xxTF (and related functions),
as it's not excatly obvious that a string comparison yields a number which can
then be used in an \ifnum :-)
-- Joseph Wright