It's always been the "policy" of The LaTeX Collective, meeting in great hall of the LaTeX Parliament, to allow developers to do as they wish.

That is, you can't have a policy if you don't have central direction. LaTeX/TeX is open-source. The developers must do as they wish. There is no there there.

Paul Thompson

From: Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wed, May 4, 2011 7:06:28 AM
Subject: Re: Policy regarding engine specific fixes

On 04/05/2011, at 9:02 PM, Philipp Stephani wrote:

> coming from a comment in the question http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/17265, I wonder what the policy of the LaTeX project is concerning packages that work only under pdfTeX or make some assumptions that are not valid in the newer engines. Is it intended that such necessary fixes will be included in the packages or in the kernel, or will the fixes have to be provided in separate packages?

Speaking for myself, I guess it largely depends. We've spoken here before about adding a switch to deactivate inputenc in XeLaTeX/LuaLaTeX but no proposals ever got off the ground. As for amsmath, that's still maintained by the AMS, and I believe they're currently working on an update to that at the moment -- it would be best to contact them directly. (I'm not sure who the best contact there would be.)

Cheers,
-- Will