On 07/03/2012 14:43, William Adams wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2012, at 8:44 AM, David Carlisle wrote:
>
>> On 07/03/2012 13:13, William Adams wrote:
>>> Returning to working on an xexemltex project
>>
>> some flavour of xmltex?
>
> xmltex running on top of xetex.

A large part of what xmltex is doing is tying to handle unicode font
encodings with a non-unicode TeX, so it could be simplified greatly for
xetex. Conceptually the encoding handling is separate (and before) the
xml parsing but of course since xmltex tries to do both together in a
single pass, the actual coding isn't that layered.

>> In theory the file unicode.tex which is linked from the final
>> section of
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2003/entities/2007doc/Overview.html
>>
>> includes TeX definitions of all of the html/mathml characters.
>
> I believe you mean unicode.xml?

yes sorry.

>> No one has touched the xmltex sources for a decade or more
>

> Should I not be using it?

I thought no one used it, but I found out earlier this year that it is
being used, and typeset some commercial encyclopaedias at least.

 >I'm looking at openjade and jadetex now and
> trying to wrap what's left of my mind around it. In the past when
> I've had to typeset XML I've ``just'' used nifty Plain TeX macros
> which Jeff McArthur wrote up (somewhere on comp.text.tex is a a
> brilliant writeup of an early version of these if memory serves), so
> xmltex seemed like the perfect way to leverage my knowledge of LaTeX
> for this.
>
> Thanks!
>
> William

These days I'd use XSLT to process the XML and just write out TeX syntax
which can be processed by TeX, it's just so much easier than getting TeX
to do both at the same time. That's how the pdf version of the MathML
spec is typeset for example.

That said, if xmltex works I'd be happy to know, and if it fails, I'm
open to take bug reports (if I can remember how it works:-)

David
--
google plus: https:/profiles.google.com/d.p.carlisle