 From: Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2014 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: Current up-to-date documentation

On 15/03/2014 18:00, Paul Thompson wrote:
> I have gone to /texlive//Contents/live/texmf-dist/doc/latex/l3kernel and grabbed the documents. Is this the most contemporary and current stuff about using the new tools? Are there other documents available? Would someone suggest a reading order to minimize confusion?
>
> Paul Thompson/Joy Hembel

We current distribute (all PDFs)

- expl3
- l3style-guide
- interface3
- source3 (might currently be missing!)

I'd start with expl3: it's an overview of the ideas. The style guide
document is as you'd expect a guide to help programmes. The main ref. is
interface3: it's not really a guide, more of a reference work. Other
than the kernel team, I'd hope no-one really needs to print off and read
source3!

For learning to use expl3, we currently don't have a 'complete' guide.
I've posted a series of articles on my blog that are meant to partially
address this:
http://www.texdev.net/2014/02/02/programming-latex3-a-summary-so-far/.

We (the team) know that there is a book in development as a proper aid
to help new expl3 programmers. However, at the moment I don't think
there is an ETA on it.