On 19/06/2014 08:33, Élie Roux wrote:

> Well, I couldn't agree more! A few years back, when I was still a bit
> naive, I even secretely hoped that my work on luatexbase (and even
> more importantly luainputenc) would be merged in LaTeX2e kernel...
> But it seems I'm not high enough in the LaTeX hierarchy to make this
> kind of things happen ;-) I still hope one day these packages won't
> be necessary anymore though...

There isn't really much of a  hierarchy:-) The time needs to be right
though and one suspects the time for this is approaching fast. You may have
noticed inputenc changed slightly in the 2014 release so it detects xetex/luatex
and at least doesn't trash the document (but doesn't do much useful apart from
give a warning or error to give people a hint what to do). That was all we could
do in the texlive 2014 timeframe.

Your're down as "inactive" in luainputenc  support according to ctan catalogue.

If someone has dropped out of TeX altogether (as happens sometimes) we wouldn't
want to pester them with tex questions, so that meant the situation with lualatex support
wasn't so clear when we were investigating this earlier in the year..  But if you are still around
and we do start to incorporate ideas from luainputenc into inputenc, we might have some
code to test later in the year and would be interested in your comments:-)

> Thank you, -- Elie

David