On 15/07/2015 13:32, Alexander Grahn wrote:
> Good afternoon.
>
> According to
>
> http://www.latex-project.org/svnroot/experimental/trunk/l3kernel/l3obsolete.txt
>
> both functions were removed from the sources on 2011-09-08 (SVN 2786).
>
> Yet, they are still alive and documented in interface3.pdf. Are they on
> the list by error? And if they are obsolete, which functions are meant
> to replace them?
>
> Alexander

Ah, a tricky one :-)

These functions were first in expl3 many years ago (I'd have to check
the logs for when they were first added). We had a tidy up and they were
removed whilst the cycle for deprecation was not as defined as it is
now. However, we later realised that as part of the now-current
interface for this area, \io(r|w)_new:N should be restored with a
different implementation.

Probably it is clearest if they are not in the obsolete list as a
result: I'll remove them.