On 2018-11-03 at 18:48:39 +0100, Javier Bezos wrote:

 > Have a look at:
 >
 > https://ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/babel/base
 >
 > and particularly locale.zip . It is based on the CLDR, but with
 > some minor changes, for the reasons explained on the manual,
 > namely, the aim of the CLDR is just to display information and not
 > fine typesetting.

Hi Javier,
first of all, I have the impression that the ICU Locale Explorer is
derived from the CLDR XML files somehow.

A few remarks about babel/base/locale.zip:

In babel-mn.ini you added a comment:

|  ;; Numbers are correct?
|  months.narrow.1 = 1
|  months.narrow.2 = 2
|  months.narrow.3 = 3

I don't speak Mongolian but it might be correct.  You get the same in
Vietnamese.  In Vietnamese the current date is Ngày 5 tháng 11 năm 2018
which means the 5th day of the 11th month in the year 2018.  Maybe in
Mongolian months have no names either.

BTW, there are two writing systems in Mongolia, Cyrillic and something
which looks similar to Klingon, at least to my eyes.

What I miss in all the files are months.abbreviated entries (Jan, Feb,
Mar) which are much more useful than the months.narrow entries (J, F, M).

Furthermore, babel-vi.ini contains

|  encodings = T1 OT1 LY1

and

|  hyphenrules = vietnam
|  lefthyphenmin = 2
|  righthyphenmin = 3

but you need T5 encoding and there is no hyphenation at all in
Vietnamese because words are very short.  I assume that the correct
value for hyphenrules is nohyphen.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:[log in to unmask]