Hello for the first time in this new year :-)

I was wondering how the language information for babel has been curated
over the years.

It is my understanding that, sometimes, hyphenation data files are acquired
from the editor/publisher of a major dictionary for the given language, but
I’m not sure if that’s always the case.

I’m guessing that typographic conventions, like hyphenation styles,
spacing style, &c., are variously collected from the language’s institute
for standard usage, leading style guides, and potentially uncodified
typographic traditions known to babel contributors.

As for babel’s locale files, it appears that they are written by hand, yes?

If there is any other relevant information, I would be very glad to know!

Warmly,
Kelly