On 17/10/2020 18:16, LARONDE Thierry wrote:
Hello,

FWIW, one can not dump LaTeX on a virgin system (say D. E. Knuth
engines and fonts) if the following 4 tfm files are missing:

line10.tfm
linew10.tfm
lcircle10.tfm
lcirclew10.tfm

True but that's always been the case, since at least latex 2.09 in the 1980s. They are latex picture mode fonts developed alongside the original latex macros.

For required/graphics, the driver dvips.def is not anymore generated
by graphics-drivers.ins: it has to be get from contrib/graphics-def.
(Not a problem for me, I know where to find it; but it could be
mentioned in the doc.)

no currently maintained drivers are generated by the graphics package ins file, I should probably make the graphics-drivers.ins file a no-op, keeping the dtx for documentation on driver structure. Hard to believe that anyone is downloading a new distribution and using emtex.def for example.

I agree the first section of drivers.dtx probably should say something. and give a pointer to the graphics-def collection, however this is documented, the main documentation for graphics is grfguide.tex which says

The following driver options are declared in the packages.
The matching definition files (\emph{driver}|.def|)
are now also maintained by the \LaTeX\ project,
but distributed separately, in the CTAN |graphics-def| collection.
\begin{quote}\raggedright
  |dvipdfmx|, |dvips|, |dvisvgm|, |luatex|, |pdftex|, |xetex|
\end{quote}

Neither ltxcheck nor sample2e.tex can be processed if the EC fonts are
missing (required?).

T1/TS1 encoded computer modern has always been required for latex2e, although the actual change affecting sample2e is this (in texlive 2019)

\DeclareTextSymbolDefault{\textdollar}{TS1}
\UndeclareTextCommand{\textdollar}  {OT1}         % don't use the OT1 def any longer

so that $ is available in all styles without contortions to avoid turning into £ in italic which means that the text symbol font gets used in this example document.

On a side note (since core babel is required): could you tell the babel
developers

Javier is on this list I think , so you contacted him already:-)

 to correct babel.ins in order to not provoke an unnecessary
overwrite check by docstrip, because "babel.log" is also used as the
output name of a file created as a side effect. Namely, in:

% Dummy, it just read "modules" to be used when generating
% the actual file. There must be a better way.
\savingtrue
\generate{\usepreamble\empty
          \usepostamble\empty
          \file{babel.log}{\from{babel.dtx}{dummy}}}
\savingfalse

replace babel.log by dummy.log, for example (this is what I do by ed'ing
or sed'ing the file; but the less custom processing, the better ;)

If you use the supplied l3build script and unpack with `l3build install` this isn't actually a problem but it does seem a bit odd, perhaps leave an issue at https://github.com/latex3/babel/issues so it doesn't get forgotten.

Best,

Thanks for the comments,

David

Disclaimer

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is: Wilkinson House, Jordan Hill Road, Oxford OX2 8DR, United Kingdom. Please see our Privacy Notice for information on how we process personal data and for details of how to stop or limit communications from us.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses and malware, and may have been automatically archived by Mimecast Ltd, an innovator in Software as a Service (SaaS) for business.