Hi Thierry,

On 30 Jul 2023, at 01:55, LARONDE Thierry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

So, as far as I'm concerned, I will make the file primitives behave like
\input, state it in the documentation (so if someone wants to write
another engine LaTeX compliant, it can at least start with that if he
doesn't want my change file), with the TeX behavior (ignoring kpathsea),
that is: one can not input or size etc. a file without an extension
---and this should not cause any problem for LaTeX per se because, if it
was the case with the present state of core LaTeX, the problem would
have been seen before in kerTeX.

Apologies if I’m misinterpreting there -- TeX *does* \input a file without an extension on TeX Live if there is one to be found:

echo "\write0{this is a file without an extension}" > TMP && tex "\input TMP\relax\bye"

This is TeX, Version 3.141592653 (TeX Live 2021) (preloaded format=tex)

(./TMP) [1

this is a file without an extension

]

Output written on TMP.dvi (1 page, 196 bytes).

Transcript written on TMP.log.

Similarly in LaTeX (albeit I’m not up-to-date here...) with

echo "\typeout{this is a file without an extension}" > TMP && latex "\input{TMP}\csname @@end\endcsname"

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.141592653-2.6-1.40.23 (TeX Live 2022/dev) (preloaded format=latex)

 restricted \write18 enabled.

entering extended mode

LaTeX2e <2021-11-15> patch level 1

L3 programming layer <2021-11-22> (./TMP

this is a file without an extension

)

No pages of output.

Transcript written on TMP.log.

It is only LaTeX commands such as \include which cannot include a file without an extension.

Regards,
Will
(From phone)