David Carlisle wrote:
>> To start off, something completely different.  Old FORTRAN programmers
>All the files in the latex distribution are checked for the 72
>character limit ... These days ... better mail gateways mean that it is
>>probably not so important...

  I think MIME was superseeded by an attempt to make all mail gateways
8-bit, but it failed, because there might be some gateway somewhere along
the path corrupting the mail, and it was too difficult replacing those.

  So do not rely on better mail gates, but use MIME instead. (Email
attachments should get through uncorrupted.)