> At 23:15 1998-11-23 +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>
> > > - Guidelines for including graphics (psfrag???)
>
> >aaargh! and you expect me to translate your psfrag stuff to XML???
>
> Indeed.  You may need to get away from all such specialized hacks from
> the TeX world (and there are many when it comes to graphics) and
> focus on standard formats like EPS (for `vector graphics')

psfrag is an eps-patcher (allows you to match fonts between the figure
and the surrounding body text).

> and TIFF (for images).

tiff isn't the only image standard, now that iso has put its stamp of
approval on png...  (there's also ipi/iif, but that's rather ott for
simple image inclusion.  and i don't know of any implementations...)

> In the TeX world we have a habit of digging ourselves into
> holes from which it is hard to extricate ourselves.  Not sure why, but
> the `not invented here' syndrome may play a role in it.

i don't think that's really reasonable.  some formats were designed
for use with tex in the early years, but i find their use increasingly
rare, now that more widely-available techniques have largely been
integrated into tex.

robin