Sebastian wrote --

> one has to start asking if you and I inhabit the same world! yes, of
> course Web heads all want better and better and better wotsits,

Not sure, but I was not talking about heads, just 'ornery folk who
want useful, usable stuff that works!

> the growth of Web usage is *surely* undeniable evidence that it
> satifies some basic needs? what else is happiness?

Mmm, so does working (in our wonderful new society:-) and breathing but
I do not normally associate these necesities with "happiness".

> why do yo think i have a printer available as I do my course?

Exactly... But think of all those who do not.

> i was talking abolute numbers, not proportions. hence the word "many".

How amazing, I would never have guessed: do archeologists always do that?

>  > lot of basic stuff in common.  Thus in the context of this list, there
>  > is no need to make a large distinction but just to extend our idea of
>  > what a document is.
> sure, no large distinction. but Lucida New Math vs CMR is a detail

maybe, maybe not a detail; but not really the sort of design issue i
had in mind at the time.

> am curious to hear what your professional bodies have done to help you
> get your 10pt CM PDF documents up.

Put money into such things as a system that produces them and makes
them (relatively freely) acessible.  And, more recently, putting a
huge (questionably so???) effort into producing character sets and
glyph sets and ... etc etc.  OK, I know that some publishers are also
supporting this but I do not think that they alone would have started
it nor that they would have available the expertise needed, however
glowing their academic pedigree may be.

chris