I don't want to get into a LaTeX v. SGML controversy.

I think that the project of J"org and associates is important because
[1] in the short and medium term it is easier to get authors to write
LaTeX than to write SGML; and [2] if SGML is ever to have the
acceptability with authors that LaTeX already has, publishers will
need to agree on a common DTD; and [3] a common LaTeX class may
be a step on the way to that.

John Palmer
69 St Cross Road, Winchester SO23 9RE, England
+44 1962 865261