> Thanks....so I have a generally its-not-so-good response on MiKTeX, and
> some people who prefer fptex. Now fptex is for win32. Can I use it for
> windows 98? How?

this is in fact a mailing list for discussing the future development
of latex; please don't fill it with queries such as this: the usenet
group comp.text.tex is a far better place for non-latex discussion.

in answer to your question -- win32 is the name of the interface;
'doze nt offers rather more functionality than either 95 or 98, but
both miktex and fptex will work under all three `operating systems'.