Internet Guide for Chinese Studies Newsletter
http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/ignew.htm
10 Oct 2004, entry by Hanno E. Lecher

New in IGCS - Search Engines and Web Guides
(http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/igguides.htm):

Introduction to Uyghur Culture and History

Ed./Corp.: Nathan Light, University of Toledo, OH, USA.
URL.: http://www.utoledo.edu/~nlight/uyghpg.htm
Language: English.

Self description: On the web it is difficult to get accurate information
about Uyghur history and culture. This page is an online introduction to
Uyghur history and culture, and to my research on the politics of Uyghur
musical history. Many of the sources I have linked here are biased
presentations, either assuming with the Chinese that what they call the
Xinjiang (meaning "New Territory") Uygur Autonomous Region was always a part
of China, or presenting the Uyghur nationalist view that there should be a
separate Uyghur state. This makes these interesting materials to read, but
highly rhetorical. The Xinjiang region is neither purely Uyghur, nor
historically a part of China. [...] I have created this page in order to
help non-Uyghurs to go beyond limited ideas about Uyghur culture and history
based in popularized archeology and romanticized travel accounts, towards a
deeper recognition of the Uyghurs' rich cultural traditions that endure
despite present political difficulties and economic changes.

Contents: (1) Basic Information Sources (Maps; Satellite Images; Online
Databases; Uyghur Language; Unicode Google Searches); (2) News Sources; (3)
Uyghur Culture (Music, Films, Art, Literature); (4) Activist and Nationalist
Sites and Analysis; (5) Politics of history, especially lingering racist
mythologies; (6) Travel and Photographs; (7) Bibliographies on Uyghur
History, Literature and Culture; (8) Photos of Uyghur Life, Art and Material
Culture.

Resource suggested by Jan Rosseel, Leiden University, Leiden, The
Netherlands.

With kind regards,

Hanno E. Lecher

INTERNET GUIDE FOR CHINESE STUDIES -- editor
http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/igcs/