Sender:
From:
Reinhard Kotucha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:35:34 +0100
Hi,
unfortunately Frank told us in his last mail that he vanishes for a
few days to work on output routines. And my suggestion has to do with
output routines. I should have posted this earlier.

My suggestion is to put a begin-page-hook to the output routine.

I suppose that everyone knows draftcopy.  Some time ago I needed
something like that but I wanted to use pdflatex.  I considered to
learn pdf to be able to use \pdfliteral. That's not very
convenient. Finally I tried something totally different. I didn't
expect that it works because it is too simple. I used the \rotatebox
and \scalebox commands from the graphics package. It works very well.

The only problem was where to execute the macro. I attached it to the
page style, but what happens if someone says "\thispagestyle ..."?

I think that it is a good idea if the LaTeX kernel would provide a
hook (probably called "\AtBeginPage".  I don't think that style
programmers should patch the output routine.

The hook should be at a place in the OTR where all the page layout
parameters like margins of the current page are known, even if they
are changed after the preamble.  And, of course, it must be the very
first thing beeing typeset on each page.

If there would be such a hook, one could write something like
draftcopy in a much more portable way and with NFSS2 access.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Reinhard Kotucha                                       Phone: +49-511-751355
Berggartenstr. 9
D-30419 Hannover                      mailto:[log in to unmask]