Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2018 10:07:57 +0200
From:
Benjamin Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
On Mon, 2018-08-27 at 08:14 +0100, Joseph Wright wrote:
> I have ask why: CTAN/TL/MiKTeX is pretty smooth.

Right now, the reasons are:
 1. I had historically not bothered to do so
    (really, I first did not know better and then never got around to
    make the switch)
 2. I likely need some minor changes to the metadata file format

For context: My LaTeX package creates forms for Optical Mark
Recognition (e.g. multiple choice questions). The questions and
positional information for checkboxes is written into a Metadata file
allowing automatic processing using the python part of the project.

I currently expect that I will need a few more minor changes to the
Metadata file format to add support for RTL languages[1].

Once I define the metadata file format (and possibly the package
itself) as sufficiently stable, then I would like to upload it to CTAN.
I do think that the package can be useful even without the python part
of SDAPS.

> That said: if a user can install your package, hopefully they can also
> install l3kernel/l3packages/l3experimental.

I would prefer if people could use LaTeX as shipped with their
favourite Linux distribution …

Benjamin

[1] To be exact, in RTL mode some items on a single line are placed on
the page from left to right. This means that the positional information
of the checkboxes ends may end up in reverse order in the metadata file
right now. The solution is likely to just add another counter which
will allow the python code to sort the metdata again.