From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jul 2015 10:39:55 +0100
On 07/07/2015 10:06, David Carlisle wrote:
>>> We are looking for feedback in two areas. Firstly, does the
>>> functionality provided cover the needs of package authors using LuaTeX?
>>
>> The whatsit allocation is still missing, maybe it could be added to
>> lualatexsupport?
>
> One thing to discuss: it could be added to lualatexsupport (a package)
> or ltluatex (planned to be in the format) and could be handled
> as a normal tex register allocation (with \count26x holding the unique
> id) or handled purely in lua.  Does anyone have any examples of these
> things in use??? Some real use cases would be good to check any design
> decisions here.

Indeed, this bit is missing mainly as I've yet to read the existing code
in detail and work out what exactly we should provide. For example,
David suggested to me that the allocation number might need to be
accessible from TeX (or that at least this was desirable), so using a
\count26x value rather than Lua variable would be best. But without any
use cases I'm not at all sure.