From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:16:51 +0100
At 11:49 +0000 1998/12/15, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
>DOM gives you programmers access to the parse tree of the document. my
>document says

>and the DOM will let you get at the bar elements inside overbars. how
>do you get from there to your byte codes? yes, you need a hard-wired
>conversion, or a transformation to a language that *is* understood
>(like PGML, or Voyager HTML)

Right. One needs to define a byte-code that admits a DOM -> byte-code
translation. Then other extensions can communicate via this DOM.

That is, if this DOM is the right thing:

Similar techniques show up in the case of distributed programming, such as
CORBA. On uses an IDL (Interface Definition Language) to make it platform
independent. (And Microsoft uses COM to make it platform dependent again.)

I am not sure about the exact relation with the graphical stuff. -- Let me
know, when you have found out.

A WWW browser with links can probably be viewed as a primitive form of
distributed programming.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>