From:
Will Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2008 11:13:25 +1030
On 07/11/2008, at 4:19 AM, Joseph Wright wrote:

> Will Robertson wrote:
>
>> Taking a look at how \let:NN and friends are implemented strongly
>> tempted my "clean up" urge. Rather than delay it for the "big future
>> refactor" that's going to happen at some stage, I thought it small
>> enough to address immediately.
>
> Is there any public detail about this refactor?  Does it affect using
> expl3 at all?  You've worried me!

I'm afraid at the moment it's just a list of things to attend to...
and as far as I know it's not public :(

When I started poking around in the expl3 sources you may have noticed
that a lot of things started changing and, worse, breaking. So that
quickly stopped and right now I'm (slowly) writing with Frank a suite
of testfiles so that we can tell when my/our changes don't behave
properly.

At the same time, we're flagging command names that are undocumented,
inconsistent, and that have duplicated functionality with other
commands in other modules. I'm sure you've noticed things like
\io_put_term and \iow_term, \cs_if_free and \cs_if_exist, etc., that
should be tidied up a bit.

When the testsuite is finished (still a fair way off), we'll start to
think about "unifying" the duplicated commands and "fixing" any other
inconsistent names. In regard to your own expl3-based packages, this
is one of the reasons that I'm very happy you've got your code hosted
in version control repositories. (Actually, now that I think of it,
I've only got keys3 in a repository on my machine. Are xnotes2bib and
xsiunitx (?) in a public repository as well? Sorry if I've missed that
along the way.)

I was hoping to include your code into the refactoring process (since
it will mostly just be a renaming of things) so that when the changes
are made I can send you patched versions of your packages (or commit
them directly, as the case may be).

***

So while the scope of the changes will end up affecting a fair spread
of the expl3 modules, the changes themselves, on a local level, will
mostly be rather minor. I hope this has allayed your worries a little,
and not made them worse! :)

Will