From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:40:58 +0200
Sebastian Rahtz writes:
> >   So how does the hypertex protocol work together with other protocols,
> > like embedded PS or non-GIF pictures? Does every protocol invent its own
> > syntax to identify itself?
>there *is* no protocol for embedded PS or non-GIF, so what are you
>getting at

  So it's ok to make a hyperlink around some embedded PS (EPSF) or a
non-GIF picture using the standard hypertex, then?

> >   Well, the HTML standard is evolving, and one would then want to have
>oh you think its a `standard'....

  My Merriam Webster's dictionary defines the word "standard" as "having
qualities or attributes established by custom". Thinking of it, yes, I
think it applies to HTML. :-)

>sensible people like TeXxies [1] should be plugging XML

  I think we are now getting to the old moral question of telling other
people what they should do; the problem since the dawn of the civilisation
has been that other people seem to not bother. How about a more informative
comment about XML? :-)

> > access to the new hyperlink features, but not the markup features. So one
> > would really want to work with a hyperlink protocol, and not HTML.
>which is exactly what we have. the fact that the tags start `html'
>does not imply that random HTML after them is acceptable.

  I figure the idea is that an underpaid Philippino worker is extracting
the new hyperlink features from HTML...

>[1] i am famous for my irony

  Or infamous. :-)

  Hans Aberg
                  * AMS member: Listing <http://www.ams.org/cml/>
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>