From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:20:22 +0200
  I have spent some time thinking about optimizations in a C++ program I
write, like when implementing conservative GC (garbage collectors) and the
like: On this very low level, one must think very hard on whether can allow
an increment like "count++", and the like, because it happens every time an
object is called.

  So, I think optimizations will never be out of the question: When
computers become more powerful, the first optimization is for time. In
addition, the places that need the most optimizations are often only a few
places with code that is called often.

  With TeX, if long names decrease speed, the should only be used at places
that are not called to often. Similarly all macro expansions that can be
avoided should be avoided in code that is called often.

  However, with code that is more high level, and is not called so often,
the opposite often happens: One should indeed put in extra macro expansions
and the like, if that can help describing the programming structures: This
will help making the code safer and also cutting developing time.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>