From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:16:20 +0100
At 15:36 -0500 1998/12/15, Y&Y, Inc. wrote:
>>By the way, can pdf display everything taht a WWW browser can (say
>>interactive Java byte-code)?
>
>No.  Can HTML preserve page layout and include fonts and figures all in
>one file?
>
>HTML is not a replacement for PDF and PDF is not a replacement for HTML.
>They serve different purposes.  You can have hypertext links in either one.
>
>Maybe we can move this part of the discussion to comp.text.pdf where this
> leads to endless threads every couple of weeks.

Well, speaking of an _authoring_ language, one would expect it to be able
to express the authors intentions, whatever they may be: If the intention
is a markup, a certain type of graphical representation, or a formula with
a certain type of mathematical semantics, the author should be able to
write it so that other tools can process it properly.

So from this point of view, HTML and PDF and DVI are incomplete.

Then the question has been circulated around giving LaTeX such increases
authoring capacities.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>