From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 12:07:55 +0100
At 03:23 +0000 1998/12/15, Timothy Murphy wrote:

>I don't know what that means;
>I take it that any format in the world can be sent over the "Web".
>Whether a particular program (browser) can display it
>is simply up to the program.
>There is nothing special about browsers, as far as I can see.
>xdvi is a program that can display remote DVIs;
>if enough people used it like this it would be called a browser.

The display of the WWW browser itself must use a language of some kind to
display its graphicla information, links and such (telling where each spot
is supposed to be), not to be confused with the language originating the
display information. Turn that more basic language into a byte code; then
any other language (DVI, PS, PDF, ...) can display by first converting to
that language: For every new such language, you then need a plugin that can
do the translation, but that is all.

>I don't know what a "WWW byte-code" is,
>and so I don't understand the rest of your posting.

So this would be like the JVM byte-code: Once you have the byte-code
standard and the JVM, if the byte-code language is sufficiently general,
one can use several different computer languages to translate onto that
byte-code language. The point is that it is platform independent.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>