From:
"Y&Y, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:40:34 -0500
At 12:08 1998-12-15 -0600, Randolph J. Herber wrote:

>|They don't have to be.  It is up to the OS to provide printer support.
>|You print to them from Acrobat Reader.  They need not be PS devices.
>|In Windows NT for example, I could print to any one of over 3,500
>|different model printers - and Acrobat has very little to do with it.

>        NO, it is not the job of the programming support system to
>        provide printer support.  If a printer requires unusual
>        programming support, then it is the job of the printer
>        vendor to provide the appropriate applications level
>        programs and commands to prepare the data streams the
>        printer needs from such ``standard'' forms as Adobe
>        PostScript language or PDF.

Yes, that is what I mean.  You can't sell a printer to a significant number
of people *unless* it has this kind of support for major operating systems.
The application should *not* have to worry about this.  There should
not be a need for a DVILJ, DVIPS, DVIXYZ DVIEpson, DVIFax driver.
There should be *ne* driver.  Systems that have M applications and N
resources, can then be dealt with using N + M software modules
rather than N * M.

But maybe we can move this discussion to alt.software.advocacy.

Regards, Berthold.

Y&Y, Inc.  mailto:[log in to unmask]  http://www.YandY.com