From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 11:59:57 +0100
At 15:24 -0600 1998/12/14, Randolph J. Herber wrote:
>|>Address that problem by using dvips and then ps2pdf, or dvipdf, if it
>exists.
>
>|This does not work with embedded links.
>
>        Why would not it work?  I used `dvipdf' as a generic name for a
>        hypothetical dvto-to-pdf converter is the same sense that a dvips
>        program exists for conversion of dvi to Adobe PostScript files.
>
>        After doing that conversion, the result PDF files could be used
>        in the HTML.  The multiple stages could be managed in a CGI script.

Depends: In DVI, such links are shipped out using \special, when converted
to PS, it must be put into a similar box, which later is converted
correctly to PDF. If people sit down and work it out correctly, it may
work, but it is a fragile procedure, as it hangs on a chain of extensions
that must work together. My hunch is that you get conversions that will
work by the platform, say UNIX, that way.

On the other hand, if the format from the beginning understands links (like
PDF), there is no doubt that it will work if the format converted to also
understands links.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>