From:
"Y&Y, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 16:44:57 -0500
At 03:09 PM 98/12/20 , Randolph J. Herber wrote:

>Yes, really.  It is necessary to use the lowest commonly available
>resources.  It is unreasonable to demand that printers be upgraded
>to level 2 or 3 Adobe PostScript language.

What has this to do with PDF?  You are still somehow saying that you
need a level II printer to print from Acrobat Reader.

>Because PDF is presented as a method of doing printing in a much more
>portable manner.  Because PDF is understood as being a print file format.
>One sends print files to printers.  The same reason that a showpage
>command is permitted in Adobe EPSF.

Sorry, but I came in when PDF was for on screen viewing.  It happens
also to be printable.  But the idea is to reduce the need to cut down trees.
I hear that recently people have pushed the idea of using PDF for high
quality service bureau work as well, but I remain sceptical of that.

>|And I find printing from HTML browsers completely unreliable, while
>|printing from Acrobat Reader works with properly prepared PDF.

>That is because, in accordance with your comments above, most of the
>people do not know that PDF is not printable and requires local conversion

I am not talking about PDF here.  I am pointing out that of the two common
formats for publishing things on line the one that is *harder* to print reliably
is HTML.  I have no trouble printing PDF, even on my level I printer :-)

>to printable form, probably Adobe PostScript language files in accordance
>with the local printer type and language level.  For portability reasons,
>if the site has even one level 1 Adobe PostScript printer to which a print
>job may directed or redirected, then the language needs level 1.

Here we go again.  I have a level I printer and never had trouble printing
from Acrobat Reader.

>One of the functions of the Adobe Distiller, which is presented as being
>part of the Adobe PDF system, is the abstraction of fonts to just the
>characters actually used and the removal of the resizing information;
>effectively, this destroys the font for any other purpose.

No resizing information is removed (whatever that is).  And yes, partial
fonts are generated - just as with DVIPSONE (and now DVIPS).  So the
`partial font issue' occurs in PS as well as PDF.

>I understand the difference between compression and cryptography, how
>they interact and how, at times, compression may be used as a `poor
>person's encryption.'  I meant encryption when I mentioned that PDF
>are frequently encrypted.  Some of those governments do not accept
>even PDF's level of encryption.

I didn't know that.
Personally, I have never come across an encrypted PDF file. On the other hand,
I have seen PS files zipped with a password...

>|Absolutely not.  PS is a poor distribution format.  And if you are interested
>|in Acrobat PDF, the least you can do is install the free Acrobat Reader.

>       Adobe PostScript is a better, not a worse, portable distribution
>       format.  Legally, I can not install Acrobat Reader---I have to
>       obtain legal approval of its license from our legal department.

?  Isn't the licensing information on Acrobat Reader enough ?

>       I have obtained already permission for xpdf and ghostview; that
>       should have been sufficient.  Why can not you provide at least
>       a PDF file that works with the open source converters?

The file you are referring to is plain vanilla PDF.  It has purposefully not
been made using the latest bells and whistles (it is not optimized e.g.)
If a `PDF Reader' can't read it then it is not a PDF Reader.  Of course,
I don't know what happened to the file on the way -

>       You were the one that suggested I read that file.  I made the
>       attempt.  It is now your problem to provide a solution.  I
>       suggested one: provide an Adobe PostScript language version

The minimum threshold for making quality PDF files from TeX is to have
a working PDF Reader.  Without that the information in the file is of no use.

>|(1) Transfer the file in binary more, not ASCII!

>       You can keep your insults to yourself.

>       If you can not understand why this is an insult,
>       then you have even more problems than I have
>       come to understand from your other postings.

>       BIG CLUE---WWW transfers are binary.

Really?  When I click on a link that NetScape does not understand it will transfer
it in ASCII mode.  Now you may consider this a bug in NetScape, and it sure
is irritating, but it demonstrates that file transfer on WWW *can* be done
incorrectly.  I have to hold down the shift key to get it to do the right thing!

How large is the file you got after downloading?
If you continue having problems, ZIP it up and email it to me.
Or I can ZIP it up and email it.
Less chance of corruption that way.

>|(2) Get a decent PDF reader.

>       I did.  You get a PDF maker that works.

I wonder whether anyone else has problems reading PDF files like

http://www.YandY.com/download/pdf_from.pdf

Regards, Berthold.

Y&Y, Inc.  http://www.YandY.com/news.htm  mailto:[log in to unmask]