From:
LARONDE Thierry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2023 18:22:32 +0200
On Sat, Jul 29, 2023 at 05:04:06PM +0100, David Carlisle wrote:
> On 29/07/2023 06:46, LARONDE Thierry wrote:
> > I suppose that this behavior is in LaTeX code, not an engine?
>
> No, as I have said multiple times this is not a latex issue.
>
> that text is from texlive's texmf.cnf documenting the engine level
> kpathsea search options.

So, as I have written multiple times, it is in the executable but
not in the engines: it is glue code in an implementation, that is
system dependencies added by web2c for the @^system dependencies@>
routines added.

So, as far as I'm concerned, I will make the file primitives behave like
\input, state it in the documentation (so if someone wants to write
another engine LaTeX compliant, it can at least start with that if he
doesn't want my change file), with the TeX behavior (ignoring kpathsea),
that is: one can not input or size etc. a file without an extension
---and this should not cause any problem for LaTeX per se because, if it
was the case with the present state of core LaTeX, the problem would
have been seen before in kerTeX.

But please for the LaTeX team to note: the kpathsea/web2c behavior is
distribution dependent and can not be relied upon---or you will have to
state explicitely that you require now this behavior. And if this is
the case, please let me know.

Thanks.
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                    http://kertex.kergis.com/