From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:10:46 +0200
  A clarification: The way I did the modules, the user cannot type say
\math/phi at all: It would be read as \math /phi, because to the user, the
"/" works as normal.

  So it is possible to have a lower, development level code that works
entirely different from what is the case now, but on top of that building
development or user levels which work pretty normal, relative to the
already existing TeX and LaTeX2e standards.

  But then with this new, entirely new lowest development level code, it
will be possible to add entirely new standards of producing code. Then
these new ways will be orthogonal to the old LaTeX2e/TeX standards, so that
these do not conflict.

  One idea one might explore is a TeX environment: It has all the old TeX
names defined locally within that environment, but those definitions expand
to the global \tex/<command name> definitions.

  Anyway, this is the kind of picture I have in my mind.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>