From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:36:51 +0000
Randolph J. Herber writes:
 >         Adobe PDF address the fonts issues by including scaled and
 >         bitmapped used character subsets of the fonts used when those
 >         fonts are available at the time of conversion and if the
no, Acrobat Distiller does this, PDF does not. keep the distinction

 >         the file).  Adobe PDF addresses the included figures by
 >         converting the images to bitmaps if converters for that
 >         figure type is available (otherwise, as I understand the
sorry? are you talking perhaps about Acrobat Exchange? NOT the way I'd
recommend you make PDF files.

 > I can use Acrobat Reader to produce a print datastream for my Epson FX
 > printer?  This is news to me; tell me how.  I can do so with DVI files.
depends on your operating system.

 > I can use Acrobat Reader to produce a print datastream for my NEC LC890
 > Adobe PostScript level 1 printer?
acroread -toPostScript foo.pdf

 > In particular, tell me how to Acrobat Reader to run on my AT&T 3B1
 > where I run LaTeX and dvips.
dont. run GhostScript, or xpdf.

 >         I thought that Y&Y was heavily into supporting TeX and LaTeX
 >         on a variety of platforms.  Apparently, I am mistaken.

this is an underhand and unfair statement. Y&Y make no secrets
whatever about their products. Berthold never claims that `dviwindo'
works on an SGI!

Y&Y's font products, on the other hand, work with any TeX systems, and
great kudos to Berthold (IMHO) for maintaining such high standards in
their fonts.

Sebastian