From:
Joseph Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2011 21:17:59 +0100
Hello all,

As detailed in the bug database
(https://github.com/latex3/svn-mirror/issues/15) there are currently
some issues with how \GetInfoId assigns the data it collects to storage
macros. The current storage names, \filename, \filedate, etc., can clash
with those from other sources.

Some time ago, there was a suggestion that \GetInfoId should be removed
entirely from expl3 as it is tied to CVS/SVN meta-data. At present, that
is not possible as version information for the core LaTeX3 modules is
extracted directly from the $Id string. At the same time, there is good
reason to believe that over time this method may be replaced by
alternatives.

At this stage, the key is to avoid clashing with any other packages
while still retaining the version data for existing modules. One
approach to this is to use storage macro names less likely to clash with
other packages. An obvious approach is \ExplFileDate, \ExplFileVersion,
etc. Before making such a change, I'd like to check:

 - Are any packages other than those maintained by the team using
   \GetInfoId?
 - If so, which pieces of meta-data are needed? (The team only use
   \filedate and \fileversion)
 - Is \GetInfoId being used only with SVN meta-data, or is anyone
   using it with CVS?

Once I know what is in use I will modify \GetInfoId to provide 'safe'
meta-data macros for those items which are needed.