From:
"Y&Y Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 09:00:02 -0500
At 12:08 PM 12/16/98 -0600, Randolph J. Herber wrote:

>|Randolph J. Herber writes:
>| >         Adobe PDF address the fonts issues by including scaled and
>| >         bitmapped used character subsets of the fonts used when those
>| >         fonts are available at the time of conversion and if the

>|no, Acrobat Distiller does this, PDF does not. keep the distinction

Distiller does not include bitmapped fonts unless the fonts in the PS
file are bitmapped.  Conversely, if the fonts in the PS file are bitmapped
it will include those instead of outline fonts.  The choice of bitmapped
versus outline is made by whoever or whatever produces the PS file.
PDF can support either format, although the Acrobat Reader does not
show up bitmapped fonts well at all.

>| >         the file).  Adobe PDF addresses the included figures by
>| >         converting the images to bitmaps if converters for that
>| >         figure type is available (otherwise, as I understand the

Distiller does not convert vector drawings to bitmapped images.
Again, the decisions has been made by the time you feed it PS.
Distiller *can* optionally reduce the sampling rate and compress
the bitmapped images.  But it will never turn vector drawings into
bitmaps.

>|sorry? are you talking perhaps about Acrobat Exchange? NOT the way I'd
>|recommend you make PDF files.

>        If the figures are not Adobe PostScript level 1 or self
>        capable of reducing themselves to that level, then the
>        only practical choice is to bitmap the images, which then
>        can be converted to Adobe EPSF at Adobe PostScript level 1.
>        Adobe PostScript level 1 is a requirement from considerations
>        of portability.

Not at all.  Distiller understands PS level II.  No need to dumb down
your PS. It is up to the printer driver on the Reader side to use
PS level I or PS level II whichever is appropriate.  Certainly there
is no conversion to bitmaps when meeting level II code.

Maybe tune in to comp.text.pdf?

Maybe read http://www.YandY.com/download/pdf_from.pdf

Maybe check out Donald Story's `AcroTeX' web page:
http://www.math.uakron.edu/~dpstory/

Regards, Berthold.

Y&Y, Inc.   phone: (508) 371-3286   fax: (508) 371-2004 (USA)
mailto:[log in to unmask]            mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.YandY.com                http://www.YandY.com/unique.htm