From:
Sebastian Rahtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 16:13:30 +0000
Hans Aberg writes:
 > I think that Netscape comes with a PDF plugin, for inline PDF displays.
Adobe produce plugins for IE and Netscape, but that assumes there is
an Acrobat for your platform ...

 > I do not think one is required to include the fonts in PDF; at XXX, one can
 > even choose what fonts one wants to use (Mac PS CM or regular CM).
you must include symbol fonts, or you really well get bizarre
results...

 > >Address that problem by using dvips and then ps2pdf, or dvipdf, if it exists.
 >
 > This does not work with embedded links.
sorry? of course it does

 > Clearly the disadvantage with PDF is that it is a commercial
 > product, and
"PDF" is a language specification written and owned by Adobe, but
fully published. "Acrobat" is Adobe's implementation, and a commercial
product. At least a dozen other implementations exist of some sort (ie
of a reader, writer, PS distiller, programmers API).

to me, thats not a bad deal.

 > that it is somewhat too primitive to be used as a WWW-bytecode standard.
whatever that might be!

sebastian