Sender: Mailing list for the LaTeX3 project <[log in to unmask]>
From: Chris Rowley <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 19:53:11 +0200
Sebastian Rahtz wrote --

> This is an interesting philosophical point - what is the future of
> LaTeX3? to me, its not about authors at all, but about providing
> high-quality tools for document formatting professionals.  Does anyone
> share my view of the distinction?

There is certainly a distinction.  This leads to interesting
questions, such as the following:

Q1: Will there exist "document formatting professionals" in the future?
Or will their skills have to be found in:

-- the authors?

-- the software?

If both authors and document formatting professionals exist, is
supporting both with one system:

-- desirable?

-- feasible?

-- efficient?

> Sorry, not sure if this falls outside the discussion range, or
> not.

It seems to be `spot on' to me.

chris