KIP-SPIKEY-USERS Archives

2015

KIP-SPIKEY-USERS@LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE

From:
Thomas Pfeil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spikey neuromorphic system - User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:35:01 +0100
Hello Bjoern & Frank,

first of all, sorry for my late reply.

Depending on your description I can not really reconstruct your
experiment setting.
Ideally, please provide a minimal example.
Interesting additional information would be:
- In the case with STDP: how large are EPSPs in experiments without
spiking? Larger than in the case without STDP?
- Provide details regarding your stimulation protocol.

Reminders that may help:
- If you change the order of connecting external spike sources to
hardware neurons, different synapses are assigned on hardware. Due to
fixed-pattern noise across synapses (static parameter variations due
to production imperfections) EPSPs on the membrane potential are
likely to differ in size.
- Depending on the number of synapses (and their synaptic weight),
leak currents pull the membrane potential to the respective reversal
potential.
Solution: Try to use as identical network configurations in both
experiments as possible, e.g., do not provide input to the plastic
synapse in your static case. Alternatively, compensate for the
different excitabilities of the neuron (caused by leak currents) by
adjusting synaptic weights.

Regarding the "sampling frequency" of the STDP controller:
This frequency defines how fast the global weight update controller
steps through the rows of synapses.
The default value is maximum frequency to achieve the highest temporal
resolution of possible weight changes.
For most use cases I recommend this setting.
For details, see: http://arxiv.org/abs/1201.6255

Kind regards,

Thomas