From:
Karl Berry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:44:00 GMT
Hi Sergio,

    a new bibtex release capable of utf-8 sorting and to provide some
    new fields for doi and url.

Well, I was just throwing out some ideas. Oren was looking for feedback.
So far I think the most likely outcome is "do nothing". It's unclear
whether changes like this would cause more problems than they would solve.

    It seems to me that most of these issues are ready solved by pybtex

I didn't know about it. Thanks for mentioning it. It has some nice
features. Clearly no new processor can "solve" the question of new
fields in the standard styles.

As for Unicode sorting, I could not discern how to tell pybtex to do
it. There is a bare statement it is "Unicode aware" but I found no
examples.

    The second one is to support other "transformation machineries"

Have extended machineries been implemented, or just the framework?
Again, I could find no particular doc or examples. Maybe I missed it.

    The only potential issue with pybtex seems to be that its
    implementation is in python and I do not know if this is accepted

There is no problem in principle with Python in TeX (Live). There are a
number of Python programs in TL now. However,

(1) it would need to be uploaded to CTAN first (which would be nice in
any case; maybe the author would be willing? Can you ask?)

(2) for TL, the program would need to be "self-locating" based on $0 and
not require users to run setup.py or anything else. I couldn't tell if
that would "just work" or not.

Thanks again for mentioning it ... but also, this is not the list to
follow up with these details about pybtex. Please reply to me
individually, ok? --thanks, karl.