From:
Hans Aberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:57:45 +0200
At 13:21 -0400 98/10/15, William F. Hammond wrote:
>I believe that it is generally considered "bad form", eventually
>perhaps unacceptable with LaTeX 3, for a user to use raw TeX
>commands in a LaTeX file.
>
>Are there circumstances where it will be acceptable to use raw TeX
>in the definition  argument of "\newcommand", "\renewcommand", or
>"\providecommand", or in one of the definition arguments of
>"\newenvironment"?

  LaTeX evidently has a syntax based on Pascal, but this syntax is not
explicitly part of LaTeX, only something that the developers of LaTeX use
internally and present to the LaTeX users as set of heuristical rules.

  I think it would be good if this syntax would be officially and
explicitly stated (using EBNF rules), which would help developers of other
tools.

  Hans Aberg
                  * Email: Hans Aberg <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
                  * Home Page: <http://www.matematik.su.se/~haberg/>