KIP-SPIKEY-USERS Archives

2015

KIP-SPIKEY-USERS@LISTSERV.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE

From:
Thomas Pfeil <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Spikey neuromorphic system - User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2015 22:20:36 +0100
Dear Andreas,

we spent a lot of efforts to calibrate synaptic weights, e.g., see PhD
thesis by BrĂ¼derle [1] and master thesis by Petkov [2].
A rate-based calibration similar to the one described in the thesis by
BrĂ¼derle is used to calibrate synaptic weights.
In particular, the parameters drvifall (affects the time constant and
synaptic weight; this parameter first, because it is more sensitive)
and drviout (affects mostly the synaptic weight) are adjusted until a
target rate of the postsynaptic neurons is reached.
As these parameters can be configured only row-wise for synapses,
firing rates are averaged across all hardware neurons during
calibration.
Due to this protocol, synapses are calibrated to generate EPSPs with
comparable impact on the firing rates of postsynaptic neurons (i.e.
area under EPSP), but not necessarily with comparable time constants.
As it is difficult to extract the synaptic time constant from the
membrane potential, we can not provide you with numbers on how
correlated time constants and area under EPSPs are.
For an example on how to modify synapse calibrations, see [3].

Regards,

Thomas

P.S. We are sorry, the source code of the calibration routines is not
published yet, but is in preparation.

[1] http://www.kip.uni-heidelberg.de/Veroeffentlichungen/details.php?id=1917
[2] http://www.kip.uni-heidelberg.de/Veroeffentlichungen/details.php?id=2635
[3]